Kingsmoor School



Street Sign


Return to Old Glossop Historic Heritage Trail


The following text is reproduced from a booklet, published towards the end of 1946, titled Kingsmoor School Endowment and Memorial Trust Fund Appeal.

Kingsmoor School, 1926 -1946

Following the close of the first world war a general dissatisfaction with prevailing objectives and methods of education and an awakening consciousness of the need for a better shaping of things to come gave rise to various educational experiments in England; one of these was the founding of Kingsmoor School.
In 1926, a small group of men and women, none of them wealthy, decided to open a school based on the principles set forth in this brochure. The school was opened in the house of the present headmaster at Rose Hill, Marple. The Founders pooled their resources and made a venture of faith in the prosecution of their ideals.
A Company was formed and the Founders undertook by the Articles of Association, to devote such profits as should arise to the purpose for which the school was founded and not to derive private profit for themselves from the venture.
In May 1927, the school was moved to its present home in Glossop Hall, a former residence of the Duke of Norfolk, with fourteen Boarders and twenty Day Scholars.
The times were difficult and almost at once economic depression began to spread over the world. By 1929, the numbers of boarders had risen to forty boys and girls but the Founders were finding great difficulty in maintaining the school. Had it not been that a number of parents and friends joined them in their effort to keep the school going; it would have had to close.
From this small group of disinterested people the Kingsmoor Association was formed and it has continued to assist the school in various ways ever since. Amongst the benefits conferred upon the school by the K.A. are: the creation of a Bursary Fund to assist necessitous cases; the provision of books and equipment; financial help by corporate efforts; individual gifts and loans free of interest; the appointment of members to sit on the Council of Governors. The K.A. has kept a continuous connection with the school?s work and has stimulated and supported the Headmaster and Staff by its helpful interest and counsel.
In spite of the continuing uphill struggle (including the Second World War) the school has steadily and surely overcome its many difficulties. There have been three full inspections conducted by the University of Cambridge Syndicate and highly appreciative reports were received; a further full inspection by the Ministry of Education was held in May 1946, and the school has now been placed on the Ministry?s list of recognized efficient secondary schools. The school has now a wide reputation for its practical idealism, yet for many years it has compared favorably with other schools in its academic record and is known far and wide for the excellence of its cultural life.
On May 17th 1947, the school will attain its twenty-first birthday and by this date the numbers are expected to reach to one hundred and fifty boys and girls ranging from nine to eighteen years.
More historic photos and details can be found on the Glossop Heritage site

Chapel Window

Unfortunately like many private boarding schools in the UK the number of pupils dropped off in the early 1950's and the school transferred to a smaller building in Marple.
This allowed the council to let the Glossop Hall fall in to disrepair and it was sold off to the developers.



Return to Old Glossop Historic Heritage Trail